This past
week I went to the gynecologist. THE dreaded gyno. Yes, the old man who checks
my ovaries and touches my breasts. Yes, the same man who gave birth to me. It is overall an uncomfortable situation and
one that I do not particularly enjoy.
Indeed it does not aid the situation that the appointment falls annually
around my birthday; 19, 20, 21, 22. To
be honest, I don’t know if the hangover helps or hurts the situation; my
thoughts on the matter change annually. At
21, I remember thinking that the pounding in my head and my mismatched hangover
outfit made be bold and invincible to the uncomfortable-ness. Let me just say, it
was not the same this year. At 22, I felt old and awkward.
Once can
only imagine how I felt sitting naked under what is practically a cheap table
cloth for a second grade birthday party where, undoubtedly boys and girls spill
gallons of apple juice. While feeling
all this, sitting in the waiting room I
was given (after being weighed; which no female under the age of 30 enjoys) twiddling my thumbs trying
to prepare myself for what I knew was about to happen. The small talk, the cold
hands, the personal questions. I felt
terrible and I only felt worse when I glanced to my right and there at eye
level was a framed image of a baby in a womb. A happy baby? potentially
implying a happy mom? A happy family? It was all too much. And then it was over.
No comments:
Post a Comment